SPARKS Forum Index SPARKS
Discussions about the band SPARKS

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vive Le Rock! issue 113

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> General Sparks Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy M
Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:21 am    Post subject: Vive Le Rock! issue 113 Reply with quote

The current issue of VLR includes a four-page feature on KMH; a very quick skim through reveals it's largely through the lens of Martin Gordon.
waterloosunset
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Vive Le Rock! issue 113 Reply with quote

Andy M wrote:
The current issue of VLR includes a four-page feature on KMH; a very quick skim through reveals it's largely through the lens of Martin Gordon.

Does that mean that it is snarky and mean-spirited? If yes, well, he may have been grievously wronged, but he must have horrible ulcers from hanging on to that grudge for 50 years. Of course, apologies if he has a new lens.
SteveBoyce
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That‘s the guy! Is he still complaining he never got a credit for the bass intro to Barbecutie? I always thought, he should be happy he‘s not the guy who got paid 25 quid for the sax line in Baker Street!
Andy M
Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have read the article now and - yes, still bitter after all these years (those who bought the recent KMH tribute LP will have read much similar in the liner notes).

My take on the situation is this. R&R were strangers in a strange land, young men responsible for the first time for hiring & firing their fellow band members. Inevitably they would have not handled man-management issues as well as more experienced people. But MG appears to have been incredibly difficult - though he seems not to see that himself. For instance, being miffed at something in rehearsal: "To show my displeasure, I decided to read the newspaper while we were playing." He got sacked. I'm not surprised, though he appears to have been.
waterloosunset
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy M wrote:
Have read the article now and - yes, still bitter after all these years

Isn't that a Paul Simon song?

In any event, while starving to read something about Sparks, I read Darryl Easlea's Talent Is An Asset. Much of the beginning is yammering from Martin Gordon, and since Ron and Russell weren't talking to the author about anything, MG got a lot of airplay. He seemed, above all, to be very taken with himself.
Alex Robertson
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ever get the chance to meet Martin Gordon , you’ll find him a witty and entertaining man. Yes he still bears that old grudge and airs it like a duelling scar…even if the association with Sparks has served him well over the years…he can still raise a laugh if it’s cast up to him as a joke.
The cruellest thing said about him, by a so-called friend (in jest)was, ‘If you have an UNSIGNED album by Martin, hang onto it as they are so rare, they’ll be worth a bomb someday!’
aussie
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things happen in life, now I am starting to get a bit older [65]
you should never hold a grudge it will eat away at you, move on and enjoy life

I HAVE WON LOTTO [again]
miss sparks
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thing that came out of MG leaving Sparks, the bands Jet & Radio Stars.
leslie hanagan
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2024 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've finally got round to reading the article.
I agree with Alex which doesn't happen very often :) that MG is a very amusing and witty man. Yes, he still has very strong views about his time in the group and if anybody asks him, he's going to let them know that. As for the Mael's man-management aspect, that should have been John Hewlett's role. There was certainly a degree of petulance on both sides, but I think he should have stepped in and done his job.
waterloosunset
Sparks Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2024 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leslie, which issue of VLR is the article in (who is on the cover?) Thanks.
leslie hanagan
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2024 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Issue number 113. The cover title is 'Sounds Of The Apocalypse. How GBH & Discharge Changed The Face Of Punk Forever.'
SteveBoyce
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2024 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leslie hanagan wrote:
I've finally got round to reading the article.
I agree with Alex which doesn't happen very often :) that MG is a very amusing and witty man. Yes, he still has very strong views about his time in the group and if anybody asks him, he's going to let them know that. As for the Mael's man-management aspect, that should have been John Hewlett's role. There was certainly a degree of petulance on both sides, but I think he should have stepped in and done his job.

The Maels were well rid of MG, in my opinion. After he smacked Russel in the mouth and locked him in a cupboard, should they have kept him?
leslie hanagan
Power Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2024 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was Chris Townson who punched Russell in the mouth, and I think it was Adrian Fisher who actually saw him go into a cupboard and couldn't get out.
bryan_davey
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2024 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i followed martin g, after his departure from sparks, loved jet and radio stars, and after that i stopped i did listen but never followed, for me he lost his spark.... he went too monty python for me !! the maels wouldnt of sacked him if he hadnt played up to them !!!! he obviously made bad decisions like reading the paper whilst playing and acting bored! martins attitude got him sacked, i bet if he could kick himself for his actions and the outcome would of been alot nicer
SteveBoyce
Sub-Deity

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2024 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leslie hanagan wrote:
It was Chris Townson who punched Russell in the mouth, and I think it was Adrian Fisher who actually saw him go into a cupboard and couldn't get out.

I definitely apologise to MG if I got this wrong.
Actually, it was in his telling I first heard these stories, decades ago now, and what I still remember is his relish in telling them, which I guess is why in my memory he had become the protagonist.
Anyway, sorry to him and to anyone I might have misled.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SPARKS Forum Index -> General Sparks Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: